Why It's Important
Now that our online store is open, it’s a good time to talk a little bit about our packaging choices. As part of our Sustainability Strategy, we commit to making the best possible choices for our environment. And packaging can have a big impact – bad packaging choices can end up sitting around in our landfills or in our oceans for a long long time.
What We Use
When you receive a parcel of goodies from Mamaku Workshop, you can expect to find some or all of the following packing materials:
- Compostable Courier Bags. The bags we use are certified compostable, including in domestic home compost, and are printed using soy or water-based inks.
- Recyclable/Compostable Padding. Instead of using bubble wrap, our Eco Wrap is made from Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC) certified recycled and sustainably sourced paper with a clever honeycomb structure that provides cushioning for our products. Unlike traditional bubble wrap, our Eco Wrap is fully recyclable and compostable.
- Recyclable/Compostable Tissue. Our custom tissue is 100% compostable, recyclable, and made from 30% recycled materials. The paper is acid-free, sulphur-free, lignin-free, and FSC certified. It’s printed with soy-based inks, which ensures that the printing won't interfere with its compostability.
- Recyclable/Compostable Compostable Stickers. Our stickers are made out of acid-free paper made from cellulose fiber that's FSC certified. The pulp is also lignin- and sulfur-free, so the paper won't leave chemicals when decomposing. They're printed with soy-based ink or non-toxic HP Indigo ElectroInk, and the adhesive is made from non-toxic polymers and resins, which means they're totally compostable and recyclable.
- Recyclable/Compostable Cards. Our Thank You Cards are 100% compostable and recyclable, made from FSC-certified 100% recycled paper. They are printed with soy-based inks, water-based inks, or non-toxic HP Indigo ElectroInk. Unlike most cards on the market, there is no silicone/plastic coating on our cards to keep them 100% compostable and recyclable.
- Re-Used Packaging. We try to reuse packaging materials that we have received ourselves as much as we can. If your package arrives wrapped in bubble wrap, rest assured that we haven’t purchased this ourselves, but have chosen to reuse it as a way of maximising the use of existing plastics and keeping them out of landfill. We also do the same with boxes if they are the right size for our parcels. It may not always look pretty, but reused packaging can still do the job!
What should I do with it now?
Once you have unwrapped your goodies, please consider reusing the packaging if you can. Otherwise just remove the courier label and any other non-compostable bits and put it straight into your compost or recycling bin. Easy peasy.